After testing the tablets to clean the toilet, I thought it would also be possible to make my own dishwasher tablets or even a powder.
Tested and approved, here is the recipe to make homemade dishwasher tablets:
Products and materials for making dishwasher tablets:
You will need a container, an icetray, a mixing utensil 🙂 and a jar to keep the tablets.
- Coarse salt – 60g
- Baking soda – 60g
- Citric acid – 60g
- Soda crystals – 60g
- Lemon essential oil (or another, if you want another smell for your dishwasher tablets) 🙂
Steps for making your homemade dishwasher tablets:
- Start by mixing all the powders (salt, baking soda, citric acid and soda crystals).
- Then add about twenty drops of your essential oil and gently mix. If it foams a lot, wait for the mixture to fall back down.
- Add a little bit of water (a teaspoon to begin with) to moisten the powder and mix gently.
- Make balls with the mixture to fill the icetray. If you are unable to form a ball in your hands, add a little more water.
- Fill the icetray and compress the powder, otherwise the tablets will not stay in shape.
- Let it dry for several hours and press the tablets down with your fingers from time to time to tighten the powder.
- The tablets are ready when you can unmold them by turning the icetray upside down.
Store the tablets in a closed jar 🙂
For use, as with industrial tablets, place one in the tray provided for this purpose 🙂 If your tablets become powder in the jar over time, the powder will work the same way! We’re not wasting anything 😀
Edit: When we were moving from our place, I had no more tablets but didn’t have time to make some so I just use the mix of powders as my dishwasher powder. Saves time and energy for the same result 🙂